Night night, sleep tight, don’t let the mattress bite!

As Mums we all know that feeling of having just too many things to do in our week. Often when we’re so busy during the day we can end up losing sleep by going to bed later, or getting up early to make sure everything gets done. But whilst you think losing an hour or two of sleep every night won’t affect you too much, it can have a real effect on your health. I’ve written about sleep deprivation a few times, how it has affected all areas of my life and led me to do the many  a crazy thing.

Finding the perfect mattress for a good nights sleep (1)

Getting a good night’s sleep can and much more. It can also help you learn new skills, as whilst we sleep our mind goes through what we’ve learnt during the day and helps us memorise it. Research has also found if you are only getting six or less hours sleep every night it , which could cause heart problems and other health issues. A good night’s sleep can also boost your creativity, help you keep attention during the day and relieve everyday stress.

Because it’s so important to get a good night’s sleep, it’s essential that you have everything suited to your preferences to help you get to sleep as soon as you lie down. Getting the right mattress is probably the most important part of this. A lot of people fail to choose the right firmness level for their personal preference and body type.

Whilst a soft mattress might sound the most comfortable, you might get a better night’s sleep on a firmer mattress. If your mattress is too soft for your body it could actually be causing you back problems and forcing you to toss and turn more frequently in the night. That’s because if your mattress is too soft into what is called a hammock position. Too much time spent in this position will force your hips and shoulders inwards towards your body, putting pressure on your joints and muscles and causing them to ache. It could also force your spine to curve and could even result in numbness and tingling throughout the day. If you feel like your body sinks too far into your mattress, or you have any of those symptoms, then Bedstar have done that could help you get a better sleep. The site have a number of examples of mattresses that can improve the position you sleep in and make you feel more refreshed the next day.

When you do buy one, make sure you get one with a high spring count, like a pocket sprung mattress, that can spread the support of the mattress across your body. Experts also say you should replace your mattress every seven years, so if you’ve left it longer than that you had better get shopping sooner rather than later.

Whether you find a firm or a soft mattress is better for you, buying a new mattress can be the best investment you ever make for your sleep and you.

Disclaimer: This is a collaborative post.

18 Comments

1. November 27, 2015 / 7:15 am

I am going to have to search for a new mattress next year as mine is ever so slightly past it. I prefer a firm mattress, but I do indulge myself with a memory foam topper for a bit of extra comfort. #Picknmix

2. November 27, 2015 / 8:24 am

You are so right, I really feel it if I have gone to bed late a few evenings in the week. It affects everything, my appetite, mood, energy, health and general well being. We spent a lot of money on our bed and mattress but I don’t regret it. We will need a new one soon. #picknmix

3. November 27, 2015 / 9:57 am

We bought a Tempa mattress when I was expecting Little B and it was the best housey thing we’ve ever bought – it’s FABOULOUS!! #picknmix

4. November 27, 2015 / 2:27 pm

Great post – about to have my first baby any day now and am well aware sleep deprivation is going to be testing so I am so glad we splashed out and got a decent mattress for our bed! I’ll be valuing those few hours sleep I’ll be getting 🙂 x #PicknMix

5. November 27, 2015 / 3:07 pm

You’re so true about having a firm mattress rather than a soft one, especially that I love sleeping, I make sure I got 8hrs of it every night. Great post #PicknMix

6. November 27, 2015 / 3:26 pm

I remember buying our mattress three years ago and I was set on a really soft one but in the end we went for a firmer one and I’m so glad we did! Now I sleep so much better and don’t suffer nearly as bad with my back! #PicknMix

7. November 27, 2015 / 7:19 pm

Very interesting post, I had no idea a soft mattress could be so damaging to your body. We have a lovely matress with built in memory foam, I wish I could enjoy sleeping in it for longer..silly toddler alarm clock!xx #picknmix

8. November 27, 2015 / 8:03 pm

We definitely need a new mattress! It’s one of those things that get added to the bottom of the list. #picknmix

9. November 27, 2015 / 9:21 pm

I definitely prefer a firmer mattress, and am always glad to get back to our bed when we’ve been away and staying on a softer mattress. #picknmix

10. November 27, 2015 / 10:10 pm

Good to get some tips on what to look for in the best mattress for adequate rest and good health. A new bed is quite a big investment, and unfortunately it’s so hard to tell until you get it home whether you’ve made a good choice! #picknmix

11. November 28, 2015 / 10:05 am

I’m terrible for not giving mattresses any thought. #picknmix

12. November 28, 2015 / 4:20 pm

We got a new mattress fairly recently because both of us were waking up with back pain. The Wolf convinced me to go for a memory foam one (I was reluctant because I didn’t like the idea of sinking into it too much) and it’s great. No more back pain whatsoever. The right mattress really can make all the difference.

#PicknMix

13. November 30, 2015 / 1:59 pm

We need a new mattress – we needed a new one a couple of months ago but hubby wasn’t going to buy a new one until baby arrived in case my water broke! Made sense really. I like our (soon to be) old mattress – it’s a spring filled one but has a memory foam layer on top. So it’s firm and soft at the same time. You don’t sink into it too much. #PickNMix

14. December 2, 2015 / 9:51 am

We will be buying a new mattress soon so will be doing some research. Great post. #picknmix xx

15. December 3, 2015 / 9:37 pm

I have awful problems and regularly wake with pain, sore neck, numbness! But I don’t think my mattress is too soft – it’s just me having a gammy back! I don’t think I could sleep in a soft hammock mattress though – it would kill me even more. Def think it’s worth investing in a good mattress – where else do you spend so many hours – and you notice the difference when you sleep somewhere else – like a hotel – which you pay top dollar for but has cheapy springs!! #picnmix

16. December 4, 2015 / 12:34 am

I still have ongoing back and hip issues that flare up. I can only sleep on my left side or I wake in agony I’ve mostly gotten used to it but I so miss sleeping on my front! Definitely important to have decent support at night.

Stevie xx

17. Anna
    May 28, 2016 / 1:14 pm

Thanks for the article . This would have been a god-send!

18. Janna Jamieson
    November 25, 2016 / 10:46 am

Hello,
    You really cleared up a lot of things for me. It’s really hard to find proper info about mattresses that isn’t just some commercially sponsored blurb. I’ve been looking for a good mattress. I’ll be shifting to Tulsa around New Year’s and I’m throwing out the old Spring mattress cause i think it’s lived its life. Is there a affordable brand you recommend? I’m really set on Memory Foam mattresses, but the ones with the cooling gel things get a bit expensive. I have mild spondylitis and so a good mattress is really crucial. If you have a recommendation for pillows, I’d be willing to listen to that as well.
    Janna Jamieson