One thing I struggle with is thinking of meals that Ava can have with her allergies. Online forums and recipe books are full of lovely BLW meal ideas that just aren’t suitable for her. I know from Facebook groups and talking to other Mummies who have children with allergies that it can be a really daunting task.
I am going to do a series of daily meal ideas that hopefully might help.
All of the meals are dairy, soya, egg, peanut, banana and strawberry free. They could be adapted for any other allergies your baby may have. More details of the products I use in these meals can be found at the bottom of the post.
Baby wheat flakes (7m+) with Oat milk. Pre loaded onto a spoon. Toast squares with Vitalite butter and quartered apricots with the skin left on to help her pick them up.
Mid morning snack
Organic rice cake with almond nut butter
Pitta sticks with Violife creamy cheese spread. Cucumber sticks and quartered cherry tomatoes.
Coconut Vanilla yoghurt pre loaded onto a spoon
Chicken strips cooked on the George Forman, home made chips, tender stem broccoli and baby sweetcorn.
Raisins and blueberries (I find if I gently squeeze them she manages to eat them better as she still has no teeth to break the skin)
A treat – reduced sugar rusk warmed and melted in Oat milk.
- Cow and Gate Sunny start – Baby wheat flakes 7m+ Ava is a bit sensitive to wheat and this seems better on her tummy plus it has added vitamins and minerals.
- Vitalite – dairy and soya free butter alternative that can be used in baking too. The whole family has it now.
- Kallo Organic rice cakes
- Almond nut butter
- Violife creamy cheese spread
- Oatly Oat Milk, contains the same amount of calcium as full fat cows milk (lower in calories) I ave heard Oat Dream has the highest calcium content which I need to check.
- Soya flour free bread, Tesco Finest Stone Ground Wholemeal Farmhouse. This can be a nightmare to find and this one is reasonably priced and not full of seeds.
- Coconut Vanilla Yoghurt, Coyo. a tip with this is to use little pots to store a baby yoghurt size to stop them going off and to stop wastage, we used our Vital baby mini press freezer containers which are the perfect size.
Some of these products I can only find in larger Tesco stores. You can also find some of them in health food shops and online shops.