Our shower and bathroom surfaces are littered with bottle upon bottle of plastic packaged products that I very rarely use. I can’t get rid of them though, I think to myself, you know just in case I need that random bottle of gifted shower gel shoved to the back of our over flowing cupboard.
The clutter is always overwhelming and I can never actually find what I need, rummaging through baskets filled to the brim with plastic bottles, tubs and packets of random face masks that I never use. Sound familiar?!
I buried my head in the sand about what was actually in the beauty and toiletry products I was regularly using, never mind their packaging.
Then I decided to try and reduce our plastic use. The Bathroom was one of the worst culprits in the whole house and it was so overwhelming I had no idea where to start or what to do.
I decided enough was enough. Cancelling my beauty box subscriptions and subscribing instead to Love Lula so that I could discover some more natural brands. (I’ve since cancelled this too and now only buy the products I need).
Next I went through every item.
Do I use it? How old is it? Does it need replacing.
I gradually minimised my huge collection of products and then slowly started to replace items as they ran out, with products packaged in less plastic, or even better completely plastic free. And for ones that contain natural ingredients.
Spoiler alert, it’s actually fun! There is a whole new World of plastic free, natural make up and toiletries that you will love exploring.
Since making the change I know a lot more about the ingredients in the products I use. My bathroom is calmer and a bonus, my skin is actually better.
I get a lot of DM’s asking for my favourite products so here are some of my current ones;
- Shampoo Bar – Honey I washed my hair from Lush
- Conditioner Bar- Sugar Daddy-O from Lush
- Beauty Balm – LyonsLeaf
- Organic Cold Pressed Rosehip Seed Oil – Alteya
- Marley’s Monsters – Reusable facial rounds, these go out of stock quickly and are available in various online plastic free shops.
- Bamboo Toothbrush – I use this for travelling
- Eco toothbrush heads – For our electric toothbrush.
- Neek Lipstick – Packaged in wood!
- Madara Hyaluronic Anti-Pollution CC Cream SPF15 – I now use this instead of foundation, it’s natural, organic ingredients, however it does come in plastic packaging but it is recyclable and made of BPA-free materials
- Evolve Organic Beauty– I have a few products from here, their ethos is fab!
- Check out Deciem who do The Ordinary and Niod. A lot of their products come in glass bottles and even metal tubes.
- l’Odaïtès Pépite de la Palmeraie – Gentle Polyphenol Exfoliator, this stuff is amazing!
I’m also currently trialing natural deodorant and have some toothpaste powder on the way. I can’t wait to share how I get on with you.
Want to know just how to start making little changes that can all add up to a big difference. Then Join ‘Make The Change’ Sign up for our 6 week email e-course and for your invitation to our closed, supportive Facebook group.