Exercise! The word that I say a lot and don’t do! It’s been on my February and March Bucket list and I didn’t want to have to put it on my April list having not done any again. The reasons I haven’t managed to get any exercise done apart from one ‘kind of’ run are these;
- I’m breastfeeding. Not that this means I can’t exercise, just that I need to be around incase Ava needs a feed. I have now found an amazing bottle that she will take (post to come) however that means I would also need to find time to express.
- Timings of classes. There is a couch to 5k running club that I really wanted to do, but it starts at 7pm. That’s the time the boys and Ava go to bed. I need to be there to give her, her bedtime feed and bedtime isn’t the best time to be out of the house.
- Childcare. James travels with work meaning he can be here some weeks and not others. I don’t want to pay a lot of money to join a class at a time I can do, to then not be able to go to it when he is away.
- Confidence. I couldn’t exercise when I was pregnant as I had SPD. The thought of going to a large gym scares me a bit. Even though I was a regular(ish) gym goer in the past, I have lost some confidence.
When I heard about Mummy Workouts I was really excited. It sounded perfect for me. A fitness class in your own home at a time to suit. No need for expressing bottles or having childcare sorted. I was a bit unsure about how the webcam based exercise class would work. However it was really easy and less embarrassing than I thought it was going to be. You log on to your class and meet the instructor via your laptop, tablet or phone. There are lots of little squares on the screen with the other members of the class. The class lasted for 30 minutes and we did various exercises in bursts of 30 seconds. This was followed by a cool down and stretch at the end. I’ve only done one class so far, but I will definitely be doing more.
There are lots of positives for the classes;
- No need for childcare.
- In your own home so more comfortable.
- No need for weights or any equipment.
- You are held accountable. I’m pretty sure its not just me that doesn’t always do all of an exercise DVD. With this your instructor can see you.
- The ability to ask questions about the exercise you are doing.
- That the instructor can modify the exercises if needed for certain people in the class.
- The fact that the instructor can see how you are doing the exercises and make sure you are doing them properly, avoiding injury.
- 30 minutes sessions meaning you can fit them in.
- All Mummies doing the classes, so they are in the same position as you.
- Affordable (see below)
At the moment they are only running a few classes, pre launch. You can find out more here. Once they are up and running it will cost only £12 a month for as many classes as you want, which I think is excellent value. If you sign up now, you will get special rates and discounts in the future.
After last nights session I can definitely feel that I have done some exercise. My muscles ache, in a good way and I’m excited that I will be able to keep doing the classes and start to hopefully see some results.