Do you ever have a week where you feel like a
fantastic really terrible Mum?
I have been flying solo since last Wednesday and my children have been fed, washed and clean clothed. I’ve met the bare minimum requirements needed to keep them alive. However I haven’t managed nightly stories, very much quality time or home cooked, amazingly healthy meals. Here are some of the reasons why;
- Baby girl has been very demanding this week, I don’t know if she has been missing her Daddy. Is that possible for a 5 month old? I can put her down for a couple of minutes before the crying starts and there is only so much you can do when you have a baby in one arm.
- We had tiny visitors. If you follow me on Facebook you will have seen me post about it. I’m not ashamed to admit that both boys had them. Luckily I check their hair regularly and they only had a couple. I treated them and have since combed their hair everyday. If everyone talked about it and treated their kids I wouldn’t have to do it. Anyway rant over. What this meant for my week was nightly, long baths with baby girl usually crying whilst I’m trying to comb through a not very cooperative 4 year old’s head.
- The long baths and a grumpy baby meant that bedtime took ages and I didn’t always get through to the boys before at least one if not both were asleep, meaning no stories.
- I cut baby girls finger when cutting her nails. It bled, she cried, I cried more.
- I locked us all out of the house. To make it worse I only had for some reason a packet of wipes and my wallet with me. No nappies, no phone! James was in America so it’s not like I could wait till he got home. An hour and a half later after borrowing phones, sitting in the village pub for a bit, sheltering in the village shop, a leaking nappy and a 4 year old having a toilet accident. we get back in the house!
- I’ve been ill. I’ve managed to escape all the colds that have gone around our house the last few months. So this one has really hit me. Sore throat, sore ears, sore sinuses, a horrible cough and generally feeling poop. The 4 year old has also been ill meaning he is extra whingey and so has baby girl!
- We have had a plumber in fixing the shower in our en-suite that has been broken for 2 months now. The joy of renting! This means that I have had dust to clean every night and someone in the house coming in and out disturbing a baby trying to sleep and making her more grumpy. (Can you see a recurring theme here)
- Did I mention that I had a grumpy baby, grumpy 4 year old and a grumpy Me? Luckily the 7 year old was fine, most of the time.
I would like to say thanks to my Mum and Dad for helping out and rescuing us when locked out. Thanks to the village shop for letting me use the phone. My friends for taking Kyle to School one morning and having Finlay for me so I could pick James up. My friends for listening to me moan and generally being there for me and the girls on Twitter for responding to me and making me feel like I wasn’t alone.
James got back yesterday, I managed to eat my dinner and not only that, it was before 9pm. Hopefully next time he goes away we won’t have as many drama’s and I will cope a bit better!